Travel Makes You Happy>
Words by : Jenniferlyn (JL) Chiemingo, E-RYT
July 13, 2022
It’s true. Travel DOES make us happier.
You probably knew it, but studies have proven it. At the Happiness 360 Conference in 2016, it was revealed that the happiest people travel more. Another study, conducted by Cornell University, has shown that people even experience increased happiness from just planning their getaway.
And there’s more…
1) Going to new places helps you improve your mental well-being by experiencing new places, people and breaking your routine. A recent Washington State University study found out that people who traveled several times a year-even for just 75 miles from home- were 7% happier than those who did not travel.
2) According to researchers, spending money on experiences, rather than on physical objects, makes us happier. Turns out we “adapt” to objects, which means that the happiness we feel following a purchase fades over time once we get used to it. But even telling stories about an adventure in the past boosts happiness hormones for the storyteller.
3) Travel helps you build community. You’ll be forced to communicate with locals to get around a new place. Plus if you travel alone, you always will meet like-minded people along the way who might end up lifelong friends. I’ve been leading retreats for over 15 years and I have repeat retreaters who come just to travel with friends they’ve met on other retreats. I’ve seen best friends created on trips!
4) Traveling, especially internationally, forces you to adapt. Being adaptable is a key job skill recognized by many employers. Travelers as a whole are considered brave and resourceful.
5) Travel increases self-confidence and so does YOGA – In the practice of Svadhyaya we study ourselves so we can be exactly what we were born to be. So a yoga retreat is the best way to get to know yourself and celebrate that.
Life is short. Making travel a priority is truly an investment in you. It will change your life.
If you’re looking for a life-changing adventure, consider coming on a retreat!